CI Estimations for Natural Gas Generation via Anaerobic Digestion

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #499 by GreatrexGFL
Hi All,

I am trying to look into how different process parameters impact the Carbon Intensity (CI) value determined by GHGenius for the generation of natural gas of pipeline injection via anaerobic digestion.

Before I started changing any parameters I wanted to ensure I am setting up GHGenius correctly and reading the correct values for natural gas derived by Anaerobic Digestion (AD).I thought a reasonable place to start would be to try and recreate the cases shown in the Day 2 Presentation from the GHGenius Workshops  (www.ghgenius.ca/index.php/all-news/76-bc...s-ghgenius-workshops), Slides 19 & 22. However, when I enter the values in the corresponding cells as per the workshop I do not get the same results. Please see the images below.

My questions are :

Am I reading from the right cells on the BC LCFS output tab ?

Has the model undergone any changes to cause this discrepancy between the values I am reporting and the workshops or have I made an error when replicating the inputs ?

Any help would be appreciated.

FYI The first image is the Organic Waste example from the workshop and the Second Image is the Manure example from the workshop.

Many thanks in advance, 

Tomas
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by GreatrexGFL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #500 by GreatrexGFL
Sorry it appears the images have not pasted correctly. I have now uploaded them as attachments.   

I hope this has now worked correctly. 

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by GreatrexGFL.

More
1 month 5 days ago #501 by doconnor
You have calculated the result for Canada. To duplicate the example you need to push the button "install Defaults" after you select the BC region.

I got your results when I skipped this step.

Regards
Don O'Connor

More
1 month 5 days ago #502 by GreatrexGFL
Hi Don, 

Thank you for your help here, I see my mistake now. I have implemented the change but still have a discrepancy between my results and the GHGenius workshop values, please see below in the feedstock transport category. 

Sorry to ask for help again but I am struggling to get this to match the workshop value of 795.

Best Regards,
Tom

Attachments:

More
1 month 5 days ago #503 by doconnor
Sorry for this one there was small change in the model between the version used for the slide deck and the version posted on the website.

You have got the correct value for the version on the website.

Regards
Don O'Connor

More
1 month 5 days ago - 1 month 5 days ago #504 by GreatrexGFL
No problem at all. Thanks for you help again.

I have a further question surrounding the Carbon Intensity attributed to imported electricity, can the Carbon Intensity attributed to the electricity bought be altered/ defined ?, for example if the electricity bought has a guaranteed renewable origin making the Carbon Intensity of the electricity lower than the typical electricity available in the grid.

Could you please direct me to the cell to change this if this is possible.

Best Regards,
Tom
Last edit: 1 month 5 days ago by GreatrexGFL.

More
1 month 5 days ago #505 by doconnor
Tom
Regulatory programs generally do not recognize the purchase of renewable energy certificates. Low CI electricity is only included if it is behind the meter.

There is limited ability in GHGenius for using a user defined grid. It is only included for electrofuels.

Regards

Don O'Connor